Sep 14, 2005

My first ever trip to East Malaysia

I've been to other places around the world, but have never set foot in Sabah or Sarawak. So, finally when AirAsia had one of their crazy deals, booked a flight with Mama & Papa.. only paid RM120 (including tax) for the return airfare!! But the downside was that we had to take VERY EARLY flights... 7am from KL and 6.45am from KK. Oh well... I could always sleep on the plane :)

We were there for 4 full days. Stayed at Nexus Karambunai, Pine Resort (in Kundasang) and Sutera Harbour. I had a room to myself and a large big king-sized bed to roll around Rented a car and drove around KK town and up the mountains to Kinabalu Park, Ranau... all the way to Poring.

The scenery was just breathtaking! I absolutely loved the drive to the mountains... and couldn't stop snapping photos. Another thing I really enjoyed were the BBQ seafood stalls at the night market.. just next to the handicraft market. YUMMY!! Some of the fish I've never seen in my life! One thing that really took me by surprise were the food portions... it was BIG! We could have easily shared a plate of nasi goreng between the 3 of us.

One thing I missed out was going to the islands :( It was our final day in KK and after toiling over which island to visit our plans were dashed. Turned out that the sea condition was too rough... a residual effect from a typhoon that hit the Philippines. Even the locals were taken by surprise... they've never seen waves that big coupled with tide at noon. Lucky thing we didn't take an early morning boat or otherwise we would have been marooned at one of the islands ;)

One thing for sure... I'll definitely make another trip to KK. And next time, the islands will be first on my itinerary...


A tour of the market in search of udang kering and ikan masin...



We stayed at Nexus Karambunai on the first night























No comments: